1928 Center Square
Taken from to of Courthouse facing South. The occasion for the large gathering of people was the unveiling of the new Chevrolet cars at Runnels Chevrolet Company. Mr. and Mars. Henry Runnels were giving away $100 for a first prize in a drawing and five $50 prizes. Notice the filling station next to Runnels which was operated by Mr. Gibson and was the first one in Center. Back of the service station is the home of Mrs. Myrtle Paul, the old Napier Hotel. The Polley Hotel is located to the right of Runnels and behind the Hotel is the home of Dr. C. B. Wallace, which now is the Shelby County Courthouse. In the extreme top left hand corner is a two story home that still stands today on the corner of Pine and San Augustine Streets.