JAMES CHURCH OF CHRIST, SHELBY COUNTY, TEXAS
Photo courtesy of Yvonne Peace
From the original list written by SAMUEL REUBEN BURNS
(Original document in italics)
by Sue Ellen Burns Moore, Longview, TX [email protected]
The Church of Christ at McKee Chappel was organized at S. R. Burns' Aug. 18, 1901 with the following members
1. J. M. Manning* Elder - James McCoy Manning and first elder of the church and a country doctor, born about 1849, died May 13, 1918, of a heart attack He was the son of W. M. Manning and Mary Ford of Alabama. He lived in Bosque County, Texas, in the 1870’s and then moved to Lake Charles, Louisiana. About 1896, the family came to Shelby County, Texas. He was the husband of Addie Hughes Manning and the father of William A., Charlie A., John Jefferson, Thomas, Olivia Ann, and Mary Pernesy Manning.
2. S. R. Burns* Deacon - Samuel Reuben Burns - First deacon of the church formed in his home and a farmer in the James Community of Center, Texas. He was born June 24, 1861, in Paulding County, Georgia, died February 13, 1936, buried in Smith Cemetery, James Community, Shelby County, son of Henry Haynes Burns and Frances Elizabeth Penelope Harris Burns, husband of Jennie Medora Johnson, and father of Frances Cornelia, Emma Lizzie, Lee Andrew, William Alford, Lonnie Bascum, Joneth Elisha, Jennie Ardella, James Samuel, and George Vessie Burns. He and William Frank Powell moved their families by wagons together from Hempstead County, Arkansas, to Shelby County in 1896.
3. W. W. Jones* - William Wright Jones, born January 8, 1865, son of Wrightman R. Jones and Mary "Pollyann" Grindle, and husband of Martha Ann Burns, daughter of Henry Haynes Burns and Frances E. P. Harris, father of William Henry, Sherrell, Homer, Virgil, Effie, Lonzo, and Donnie A. Jones.
4. W. A. Manning* - William A. Manning, born October 3, 1873, son of James M. and Addie Hughes Manning, husband of Margaret "Maggie" and father of James Manning.
5. W. F. Powell*- William Franklin "Frank" Powell, son of Caleb and Mary Jones Powell. He was born October 20, 1860, died September 24, 1931, buried in Smith Cemetery, husband of Lorraine Jane Burns, daughter of Henry Haynes Burns and Frances E. P. Harris Burns, and father of Julie Powell. He moved his family from Hempstead County, Arkansas, in 1896, along with Sam Burns and his family.
6. O. A. Manning*- Olivia Ann Manning , daughter of James McCoy Manning and Addie Hughes Manning, born March 25, 1879, died August 5, 1930, buried at Smith Cemetery, married J. D. "Drew" Watson of Shelby County, October 16, 1921.
7. J. M. Burns *- Jennie Medora "Dora" Johnson Burns, born August 4, 1866, in Georgia, died December 31, 1941, buried in Smith Cemetery, wife of Samuel Reuben Burns, and daughter of William Bennett Johnson of Guilford County, North Carolina and Mary Elmira Foster of Cass County, Georgia.
8. Victoria Cox* Decesed (sic) - Victoria Burns Cox, born January 27, 1876, in Hempstead County, Arkansas, died 1911, buried in James Cemetery, daughter of Henry Haynes Burns and Frances Elizabeth Penelope Harris Burns, and wife of John Wesley Henry Cox, married July 22, 1891, in Hempstead County, Arkansas, mother of Ben Franklin, Luther, Martha, Bettie, Connie, Robert L. Cox, and Jesse.
9. M. A. Jones* - Martha Adeline Burns, wife of William Wright Jones and daughter of Henry Haynes Burns and Frances Elizabeth Penelope Harris Burns, born August 19, 1878, in Hempstead County, Arkansas, and died September 25, 1928, in Angelina County, Texas.
10. Paralee Jones*- Paralee Burns Jones, born August 16, 1878, Hempstead County, Arkansas, died January 19, 1961, buried at James Cemetery, daughter of Henry Haynes Burns and Frances Elizabeth Penelope Harris Burns, and wife of Sam C. Jones whom she married December 12, 1894, in Hempstead County. She was the mother of Oma Oletha, Minnie Arzula, Bessie, Bertha Jane, Lela Frances, Marvin Allen, Oscar Alton, Orva Olivia, Lorraine, James Eldon, and Margie Lee Jones.
11. M. E. Jones* - Mary Elizabeth Burns Jones, born June 10, 1873, in Hempstead County, Arkansas, and died April 5, 1952, buried at Smith Cemetery, daughter of Henry Haynes Burns and Frances Elizabeth Penelope Harris Burns, and wife of John Wiley Jones whom she married December 24, 1889 in Hempstead County, Arkansas. She was the mother of Jesse, Leona, Oma Elmer, Thannie, Charlie A., Essie D., Albert Lee, Ethel Elbertie, Mary Frances, and Carrie Jones.
12. L. J. Powell *- Lorraine Jane Burns Powell, born in Paulding County, Georgia, January 29, 1858, and died in Shelby County, Texas, July 9, 1934, buried in Smith Cemetery, daughter of Henry Haynes Burns and Frances Elizabeth Penelope Harris Burns, and wife of William Frank Powell whom she married October 23, 1879, in Hempstead County, Arkansas.
13. Adala Manning* - Adalaide "Addie" Hughes Manning, wife of J. M. Manning, born January 11, 1853, died December 2, 1936, and buried in Smith Cemetery. She was the daughter of John J. Hughes and Mary Pernecia Samford Hughes.
14. P. M. Manning*- Pernecia Mary Manning , born June 9, 1880 in Limestone County, Texas, and died March 22, 1979, Shelby County, buried at Bethel, daughter of J. M. Manning and Addie Manning, and wife of Lem S. Covington whom she married in Shelby County on December 19, 1901. In the wedding record, she is Pernnia Manning. They had a son, Lewis Covington, who died in an explosion in 1926.
15. C. A. Manning* - Charles "Charlie" Addieberry Manning, son of J. M. and Addie Hughes Manning, born January 17, 1878, married (1) Julia Powell, daughter of William Frank Powell and Lorraine Jane Burns Powell on December 15, 1901 (2) Frances "Fannie" Watson on July 27, 1910. He had two children, Mae and Addie with Julie Powell Manning before Julie died in 1909, and four children, Rushing, Laura Olivia, Zera Frances, and C. A. Manning, Jr. with wife Frances Watson Manning. He ran a store, a mill, and a gin in the James Community.
Added to the Church August 1903
16. J. W. Jones - John Wiley Jones, born February 11, 1867, died February 6, 1946, buried at Smith Cemetery, James Community, son of Wrightman R. Jones and Mary "Pollyann" Grindle, husband of Mary Elizabeth Burns, daughter of Henry Haynes Burns and Frances E. P. Harris Burns.
17. S. C. Jones - Samuel Calvin "Sam" Jones, born August 29, 1873, died July 7, 1960, buried at Smith Cemetery, James Community, married December 12, 1894, Hope Arkansas, Paralee Burns, daughter of Henry Haynes Burns and Frances E. P. Harris Burns. He was the son of Wrightman R. Jones and Mary "Pollyann" Grindle.
18. Julia Manning Deces.(deceased) - Julia R. Powell Manning, born July 14, 1884, Hempstead County, Arkansas, and died August 13, 1909, from blood poisoning, buried in Smith Cemetery, daughter of Lorraine Jane Burns and William Frank Powell, wife of Charles A. Manning, mother of Mae Manning Rushing, Addie Manning Permenter, and Bud Manning.
19. F. C. Baker Deces.(deceased) - Frances Cornelia Burns Baker, born September 13, 1884, in Hempstead County, Arkansas, died in childbirth December 5, 1903, daughter of Samuel Reuben Burns, mother of Addie Baker, and wife of William "Hez" Baker. Hers was the first death in the church.
20. P. D. Jones - Probably Pleasant Dalton Jones, born January 8, 1882, married Dollie Blanche Smith, daughter of J. E. and Julia Ann Williford Smith. He later joined the Christian Church.
Sept. 11th 1904
21. Sam Smith - Sam Houston Smith, born December 20, 1879, in Texas and died in Shelby County, October 29, 1949, and son of Levi Smith and Mit Williford. S. H. Smith, married Jennie Sanford on January 21, 1902.
22. Jennie Smith - Jennie E. Samford Smith, wife of Sam Houston Smith and mother of Albert John Smith.
23. Cora Gibbs - Cora Ann Gibbs born January 5, 1886 and died October 31, 1940, buried at Smith Cemetery, daughter of Rodie Kenyard Gibbs and Mary Ann Pharm Gibbs, wife of James Oliver "Tobe" Jones, born April 22, 1877, and died January 16, 1960, also buried at Smith Cemetery. They were parents of Margie, Cecil G., Virgie, Era Faye, Mildred L., Oliver R, and Bernard W, Jones.
24. J. G. Day - Also listed as G. J. Day, married Lou Herrington on May 15, 1887, in Shelby County, Texas. The pioneer John Day and Herrington families lived in the Willow Grove Community and later, Timpson.
25. Lou Day - Lou Herrington Day, wife of J. G. Day.
26. Risdon McDaniel - S. Risdon McDaniel, born August 25, 1879, and died January 22, 1939, in Shelby County, Texas, buried in Lone Cedar Cemetery. S. R. McDaniel married Ida J. Samford on February 9, 1902, in Shelby County, Texas.
27. Ida McDaniel - Ida J. Samford McDaniel, born August 14, 1883, and died April 2, 1942, in Shelby County, Texas, buried in Lone Cedar Cemetery.
28. G. M. Day - G. Monroe Day, born January 28, 1871 and died September 5, 1921, in Shelby County, Texas, buried in Lone Cedar Cemetery. He married Evilean "Lela" Coston/Casten on August 24, 1894, in Shelby County, Texas. They were the parents of Giles "Buck," Warwick "Wark," Ethel, Mary, Era, Annie Mae, Bill, and Gene Day.
29. Lelar Day – Lela Coston Day born August 10, 1877 and died June 22, 1952 in Shelby County, Texas, buried in Lone Cedar Cemetery.
30. J. R. Yates - Jack Robert Yates, born 1872 in Texas, died 1918, buried in Rather Cemetery. According to his obituary, he died at the family home in Hurstown of pneumonia brought on by the flu. He left a wife and six children.
31. Anna Yates - Anna Lovella Grider/Gryder , born in Louisiana, wife of Jack Robert Yates. They were married in Shelby County, Texas, on January 14, 1900.
32. Willie Dolby - Willie O. Dalby born March 5, 1871, and died January 11, 1955, is buried in Lone Cedar Cemetery in Shelby County. N(?) O. Dolby married Alice/Altha "Allie" Samford, December 15, 1894. The spelling of the name in the cemetery is Dalby.
33. Allice Dolby - Alice S. Samford Dalby, wife of Willie O. Dalby, born July 12, 1874, and died June 4, 1944, buried in Lone Cedar Cemetery in Shelby County.
34. Walter Samford - Possibly W. S. Sanford who married Elna Mosely on March 17, 1901, or William W. Sanford who married Annie Smith.
36. Mit Smith - Mit Willowford/Williford Smith. This is probably Martha Ann Smith, born 1848 and died 1919 in Shelby County, buried in Willow Grove Cemetery.
37. Salley Wilson - Sallie Wilson married L. V. Hughes on December 4, 1906.
38. J. W. Cox - James Wiley "Jim’" Cox, born December 20, 1866, died April 15, 1942, buried in Smith Cemetery, son of Wright P. Cox and Martha E. Jones, husband of Amy Penelope Burns Cox, whom he married December 13, 1886, in Hempstead County, Arkansas. They were the parents of Henry, William Wright, Winnie Lucinda, Amelia, Elbert L., Alma Francis, Elisha Franklin, Sophronie Ardella, Charlie, Addie Jane, Caldonia, and Zera Cox.
39. A. P. Cox - Amy Penelope Burns Cox, born December 17, 1870, Hempstead County, Arkansas, died June 6, 1944, buried in Smith Cemetery, wife of Jim W. Cox, and daughter of Henry Haynes Burns and Frances Elizabeth Penelope Harris Burns.
40. Bettie Cox and Wright Cox - Bettie Cox, daughter of John W. Henry Cox and Victoria Burns Cox (deceased) , who was being raised by Jim Cox, John’s brother, and Amy Burns Cox, Victoria’s sister. Bettie was born in 1898, married Frank Reynolds July 13, 1913, in Shelby County. Frank Reynolds was born February 2, 1894, died May 19, 1959, buried in Antioch Cemetery. Their children were Bill, Raymond, Estelle, Otha, Virgil, Nellie Ruth, and Cozette Reynolds.
41. Wright Cox - William Wright Cox, born in 1888 in Hempstead County, Arkansas, Jim and Amy Burns Cox’s son.
42. Martha Mills - Martha Cox married W. A. J. Mills on December 1, 1901 in Shelby County, Texas.
43. J. S. Anderson - James S. Anderson, born February 2, 1854 and died November 22, 1945, buried at Joaquin, husband of Annie Williams Lowe (died 1917) and father of three sons - Joe T. who married Thannie Jones, W. F. "Frank" Anderson who married Effie Leona Jones, and George Washington Anderson who married Carrie Jones, three daughters of John Jones and Mary Elizabeth Burns Jones.
44. Ben Mitchell - Decesed (sic) - B. G. Mitchell buried at Lone Cedar Cemetery , born 1854 in Texas and died 1906 in Shelby County, Texas, son of George W. and Martha Ann Day Mitchell of Tennessee, living in Shelbyville in 1860.
45. John Jackson - John A. Jackson born February 14, 1870, and died February 15, 1938, buried at Lone Cedar Cemetery, wife Maggie Mitchell Jackson, father of Lillie Mae Jackson Hendricks and Willie Henry Jackson.
46. Maggie Jackson - Maggie Mitchell Jackson born February 11, 1875, and died July 19, 1950, buried at Lone Cedar, wife of John A. Jackson.
47. Charley E. Hurst - Charles Edmund Hurst/Hearst , born December 11, 1861,in Talladega, Alabama died July 17, 1941, buried in Ramah Cemetery, husband of Mary L. "May" Samford, and father of Charles Otto Hurst, born 1901 and died 1950 in Tenaha.
48. May Hurst - Mary L. Samford Hurst, wife of Charley E. Hurst, born February 14, 1878, in Shelby County, married Charles Hurst on January 2, 1901, in Shelby County, Texas, and died July 17, 1917, buried in Ramah Cemetery, daughter of Elkanah Samford, born 1852 in Shelby County, Texas.
49. Rebecca Anderson - Daughter of James S. Anderson. Becca Anderson married Daniel Samma on August 23, 1905, in Shelby County.
50. Annie Anderson - Annie Williams Lowe Anderson, wife of James S. Anderson, born February 8, 1869, and died August 22, 1917, buried at Joaquin Cemetery.
Added July 1906
51. Nannie Samford - Nannie E. Perry Samford, wife of Elkanah Samford, mother of Maffitte Ulion Samford who is buried at Lone Cedar Cemetery.
Added to the Church Sept. the 1 1907
52. Mazoria Jones -
53. Leaner Jones - Possibly Lena Patrick born March 1, 1883, and died February 12, 1959, wife of William Calloway Jones, or else Lena Ford, who married Monroe Jones on May 15, 1906. He was born July 6, 1883, and died January 23, 1933, buried in Fairview Cemetery.
54. Winnie Cox - Winnie E. Cox, born March 21, 1890, and died March 16, 1968, buried at Smith Cemetery, Shelby County, Texas, daughter of James "Jim" Wylie Cox and Amy Penelope Burns, wife of William "Hez" Baker.
55. Mealie Cox - Amelia Cox, born January 15, 1892, and died June 6, 1916, buried at Smith Cemetery, Shelby County, Texas, sister of Winnie E. Cox, daughter of Jim and Amy Burns Cox, and wife of Oscar A. Mills.
56. Will Nance - Probably W. C. Nance, born August 22, 1871, died January 26, 1916, and buried at Lone Cedar.
57. James Mills - James Sanders Mills, born July 27, 1881 and died August 29, 1943, buried in Smith Cemetery, son of William K. Polk Mills of Arkansas and Susan Anderson of Georgia. He married Mary Cox on January 14, 1906, in Shelby County, Texas. They were the parents of Gerone, Loney, Susie Elizabeth, Ethel, Dona, Elbert James, Irene, Myrtie Mae, and Dorothy Louise Mills.
58. Mary Mills - Mary Caladonia Cox Mills, born April 13, 1887, and died June 22, 1990, buried at Smith Cemetery, wife of James S. Mills, and daughter of Jim and Amy Burns Cox.
59. L. G. Watson - Lemuel G. Watson born September 13, 1848, and died December 11, 1924, buried at Lone Cedar, husband of Ruth D. Gordon Watson, and father of Thomas Douglas Watson, Fannie Watson who married C. A. Manning, Phronie who married H. Ashton Wilson, Lara who married Newton Wright Clark, and Clyde Eugene Watson.
60. Mrs. Lem Watson - Ruth D. Gordon, born October 18, 1864, and died August 30, 1910, buried at Lone Cedar, wife of Lemuel G. Watson.
61. J. O. Jones - James Oliver "Tobe" Jones, born April 22, 1877, Hempstead County, Arkansas, died on January 16, 1960, buried in Smith Cemetery, son of Wrightman R. and Mary "Pollyann" Grindle Jones, husband of Cora Ann Gibbs.
62. Daisey Burns - Daisy Ophelia Campbell Burns, born August 5, 1888, in Shelby County, died May 10, 1959, in Oil City, Louisiana, buried in Smith Cemetery, daughter of David Crockett Campbell and Celia Olieu Lynch Campbell, wife of Lee Andrew Burns, born July 20, 1886, Hempstead County , Arkansas, died October 31, 1963, Springhill, Louisiana, buried in Smith Cemetery. They were married in Shelby County on September 9, 1906, and their children were Ruby Lee, Mamie Lucille, Corris David, Raymond Andrew, and Edward C. Burns.
63. Mathis Samford - Matt J. Samford, born October 31, 1883, died in June of 1966, married Kathleen "Kate" L. Dry on March 11, 1907. They were parents of Weldon B. Samford, Kelton H. Samford, Oswald Samford, Ruby Lee Samford. And Zelma Ellen Samford.
64. J. F. Burns - John Franklin Burns, born July 9, 1868 in Paulding County, Georgia, and died June 12, 1944, in Douglas, Arizona, son of Henry Haynes and Frances E. P. Harris Burns, husband of (1) Dora Elizabeth Ann Jackson, born 1874 in Hempstead County, Arkansas, and died May 12, 1906, Shelby County, Texas, buried in Campti Cemetery, mother of Robert Early, Minnie Frances, Oscar Franklin, Erna Ardella, Carrie Jane, and Virginia M. Burns. (2) Sarah Eugenia Sims, mother of Alva Jessie, Johnnie Faye, and Bernice Burns.
65. Jinnie Burns - Sarah Eugenia "Jennie" Sims Burns, daughter of Reuben Berry "Buck" Sims and Eliza Frances "Frank" Goulden/Golden, and sister to Jesse James Sims and Ola "Minnie" Sims, and wife of John Franklin Burns.
66. Minnie Burns - Minnie Frances Burns, born about 1893 in Hempstead County, Arkansas, daughter of John Franklin Burns and Dora Elizabeth Ann Jackson Burns, wife of E. E. McAnally whom she married August 28, 1908, in Shelby County, Texas.
67. Adell Dolby - Adelle Dolby married David J. Watts on August 24, 1918. She died November 21, 1961, and is buried at Old Teneha Cemetery.
68. Winnie Legett - Winnie E. Leggett , born October 22, 1893, and died December 30, 1914, buried at Jackson Cemetery, married Elbert L. Cox, son of Jim Cox and Amy Penelope Burns Cox, on December 28, 1911.
69. Jack Legett - Jack Leggett. Since Winnie Leggett was only fourteen when she joined the church, it can be assumed that Jack is her father or brother
70. Coar Legett - Cora Leggett. Again, since Winnie Leggett was only fourteen when she joined the church, it can be assumed that Cora is her mother or sister.
71. Charley Smith - Charlie Augustus Smith, born April 12, 1876, and died October 24, 1923, buried at Willow Grove, son of Levi Smith and Martha Ann Williford.
72. W. P. McGraw - Probably "Acie" McGraw, nephew of Frances Watson Manning who was raised by Frances and her husband, Charlie A. Manning
Oct. the 27 1907
73. Mrs. Froney Wilson - Fronia "Fronie" Watson , daughter of Lemuel G. Watson and Ruth Dry Watson, married H. Ashton Wilson January 15, 1903, in Shelby County, Texas. They were the parents of Ruth Wilson Day and William E. "Ted" Wilson.
74. Lara Clark move - Laura Watson Clark, born June 10, 1880, and died March 14, 1969, buried at Oaklawn, daughter of Lemuel G. Watson and Ruth Dry Watson, and wife of Newton Wright Clark and mother of Maude Clark Rushing , Wright Eugene Clark, Lem Clark, and Carl Alexander Clark.
Added to the church August the 1 1908
75. R. Williford - Robert Lee Williford, born January 12, 1885, died November 11, 1918 of flu, buried at Antioch, son of Robert Huse Williford and Cordelia Jane Smith, husband of Flavia Rachel Warr Williford, father of James Clifton, Wales Dolph, Syble, and Helen Maxine.
76. Mrs. R. F. Williford - Flavia Rachel Williford, born 1888, buried at Antioch, daughter of Dr. W. W. and Virginia Ann Warr, and wife of Robert Lee Williford.
77. G. H. Williford - George Homer Williford, born February 5, 1890, and died February 7, 1965, buried in Houston, , father of Levi Arvin Williford, Cordella Adell Williford Prince, and Hazel Emma Williford Doyle, brother of Robert Williford, married Daisy Bell Hughes on November 26, 1917, born January 21, 1899, and died March 23, 1980.
78. James L. McGraw - Nephew of Frances Watson Manning who was raised by Frances and her husband Charlie A. Manning. James McGraw married Leola Davis on November 21, 1928. I believe his father to be T. C. McGraw who died in May of 1916 with black jaundice and who is buried in Lone Cedar Cemetery. His obituary said that he left five orphans to be cared for by the family.
79. Wright Clark - Newton Wright Clark, Sr. married Laura V. Watson on March 17, 1901.
80. Mrs. Annar Smith - Anna Taylor married Charlie Augustus Smith, December 10, 1896. They were the parents of Marvin Smith and Rufus Melvin Smith.
81. Mrs. Sallah Lane - Sallie Ovada Williford, born January 30, 1883, died September11, 1943, buried at North Jerico Cemetery, married Joe Hill Lane September 27, 1903. He was born January 30, 1883, died July 29, 1981, buried at North Jerico also, with several of their children. Sallie’s father was Bob Williford and her mother Delia Smith.
82. Miss Lewellar Low - She may be the step-daughter of James S. Anderson since his wife Annie Williams was first married to Uriah Lowe on May 18, 1892.
83. Mrs. Minnie Hughes - Minnie Ola Bonner Hughes, born May 23, 1891, and died April 21, 1936, buried at Sardis, wife of W. C. Hughes, daughter of Andy Bonner and Mary Hooper. This is the mother of Elton S. Hughes, longtime pastor of this church. He recalled that his mother joined the church before he was a year old.
84. Elisha Burns - Elisha Burns, born March 29, 1881, Hempstead County, Arkansas, and died March 3, 1955, buried in Central Cemetery, Hope Arkansas, husband of Stella V. Fambro, son of Henry Haynes and Frances E. P. Harris Burns, father of Jewel F., Ruby S., Luther S., Retha V., Thomad D., Grover L. and Carbin C. Burns.
85. Steller Burns - Stella V. Fambro, born September 24, 1887, died March 30, 1956, buried in Central Cemetery, Hope, Arkansas, wife of Elisha Burns.
86. Sam Cox - Samuel C. Cox, born March 4, 1870, and died October 30, 1938, buried in Antioch Cemetery, son of Wright P. Cox and Martha E. Jones, husband of Sarah "Zippe" Bennett. Their children were Esther, Lorene, Nettie, Buddy Alexander, Lettie Martha, Lucy, and Ethel Bell.
87. Zippie Cox - Sara Ziporah "Zippe" Bennett Cox, born December 15, 1871, and died October 11, 1956, buried in Antioch Cemetery, wife of Sam Cox.
88. H. H. Cox - Henry H. Cox, born August 8, 1887, and died August 19, 1965, son of James Wylie "Jim"Cox and Amy Penelope Burns, married (1) Katie Griffin on June 20, 1904. James Abner Cox was their son. Henry married (2) Mary Ferguson on September 29, 1917. Their children were Chapman, Robert, Laverne, and Jeanette Cox.
August the 1 1909
89. Martha Cox - Deceased Probably Martha Griffin Furlow Cox, wife of Ben Franklin Cox, whom she married December 6, 1903, and probably a sister to Katie Griffin Cox.
90. Catie Cox - Katie Griffin Cox, born May 11, 1888, died December 31, 1916, buried in Smith Cemetery, wife of Henry H. Cox.
91. Mattie Cox - Probably Martha Cox, born January 1896, daughter of John Wesley Henry Cox and Victoria Burns.
92. Jessie Sims - Jesse James Sims, born July 12, 1883, in Shelby County, and died November 28, 1953, husband of (1) Ada Lee Hughes, daughter of Mary Elizabeth Durrett Hughes and James Riley Hughes, whom he married December 29, 1905. They were the parents of Fannie Gray, James Franklin, and Sally Augusta Sims. (2)He married on July 18, 1912, Cynthia Carolina Byrd, , daughter of Elizabeth Ann Hughes and William Washington Byrd, and a cousin to Ada Lee. Their children were Ada Captoria, Jessie Eugenia, Buck Lacy, William Henry "Bill", Mildred Marie, Thomas Jefferson, Ruby Edmond "Jack", Travis Lamar "Tray", Merrell Rodgers Sims. They lived at Beech Springs, near Campti, and Jesse James Sims is buried at the Sardis Cemetery.
93. Herman Willeford - Herman Williford, son of Robert Huse Williford and Cornelia Jane Smith, and brother to Robert Lee Williford, served in WW1 from Shelby County. This is probably the same G. H. Williford above, received on basis of conversion experience, perhaps, or even a younger generation Herman.
94. Ulamay Phynkley - Eula May Finklea. This is probably Euna May Finklea, daughter of James Edward Finklea and Virginia E. Respess, wife of Edward Ramsey, and mother of Billy and Mary. They lived a Joaquin. There are also Finkleas buried at Ramah and Lone Cedar.
95. Frank Cox - Ben Franklin Cox, born June 20, 1892, son of John Wesley Henry Cox and Victoria Burns, husband of Martha Griffin Furlow Cox.
96. Miss Fanney Watson - Frances Jessie "Fannie" Watson, born October 1, 1886, at Bald Knob, Arkansas, died January 31, 1976, and buried at Fairview, wife of Charlie A. Manning, daughter of Lemuel G. and Ruth Dry Watson.
Added July the 31 1910
97. W. B. Harris - Possibly William"Bill" Harris who married Martha Outlaw and lived in Pleasant Grove, Timpson.
99. Minnie Millar - Parilee Minnie Miller married William Wright "Pete" Cox, son of Wright P. Cox and Martha E. Jones, on December 23, 1910. Mrs. Minnie Cox married Sam Adkinson on April 19, 1914.
100. Howard Madden - Edgar Howard Madden, born February 13, 1894, died July 2, 1893, buried at Strong Cemetery, son of C. Frederick Madden and E. Jennie Smith Madden, husband of Vergie Boles, married October 4, 1920, born March 11, 1900, died September 6, 1987, buried at Strong Cemetery.
101. Walter Madden - Walter C. Madden, born April 14, 1892, died May 4, 1955, probable son of C. Frederick Madden and E. Jennie Smith Madden, buried at Willow Grove Cemetery, served in WWI from Shelby County
102. Elar Madden - Ella Madden, February 17, 1897, died November 28 1926, buried at North Jerico Cemetery, daughter of Clem Frederick Madden and E. Jennie Smith Madden, married B. Watson on October 18, 1912. He was born November 12, 1889, died May 2, 1970, and buried at North Jerico also.
103. Vera Willerford - Vera Williford married William Sherrod on December 25, 1912.
104. Bettie Cox - Bettie Cox, born January 1898, daughter of John H. W. Cox and Victoria Burns, married Frank Reynolds on July 13, 1913. Frank Reynolds, born February 2, 1894, died May 19, 1959, buried at Antioch with several of their children.
104. L. B. Burns (misnumbered) - Lonnie Bascom Burns, born July 25, 1893, in Hempstead County, Arkansas, son of Samuel Reuben Burns and Jenny Medora Johnson Burns, married Donnie Estelle Matthews, December 30, 1916, father of Helen, Marie, Burton, Mary Emily, Nora, William, and Raymond.
105. J. A. Burns - Jennie Ardella Burns, born June 16, 1898, and died October 30, 1970, buried at Smith Cemetery in the James Community, daughter of Samuel Reuben Burns and Jenny Medora Johnson Burns, married Aaron Dolphus Matthews on April 29, 1917. Aaron D. Matthews was born July 13, 1895, and died August 19, 1959, and is also buried at Smith Cemetery. Their children were Vada, Fred, Agnes, Jean, Aaron Jr. "Ham", Betty, Lottie, and Drew.
106. Luther Cox - Born September 6, 1893, died October 20, 1972, buried at Smith Cemetery, son of John H. W. Cox and Victoria Burns Cox, brother of Bettie Cox, husband of Versie Smith whom he married November 1, 1919. Their children were Charlie and Brooksie Cox.
107. Elbert Cox - Elbert L. Cox, born 1894, son of James Wylie "Jim" Cox and Amy Penelope Burns, husband of (1)Winnie E. Leggett and (2) Altonia O’Banion whom he married October 1, 1916. He was a Pentecostal minister.
108. Almer Cox - Alma Francis Cox, born July 17, 1896 , died June 6, 1993, buried at Lone Cedar Cemetery, daughter of James Wylie "Jim" Cox and Amy Penelope Burns, married December 20, 1915, wife of Rufus B. Bonner, born December 22, 1882, died October 13, 1976, also buried at Lone Cedar.
109. Mr. Walker - Probably David Samuel Kaufman "Kauf" Walker, born 1853 and died 1928, son of James Merrill Walker and Lucinda Reynolds Walker.
110. Millie Walker - Probably Melissa Covington Walker, born August 8, 1853, died January 9, 1937, buried in Walker Cemetery, wife of Kaufman Walker, daughter of John Covington and M. Holt Covington. They had a son Joe, born in 1882.
111. Julure Walker - Julia Walker, possibly daughter of Kaufman and Millie Walker.
112. D. R. Harris - Possibly Dave Harris, born August 22, 1881, died March 27, 1969, buried at Timpson Mt. Zion/Netherly Cemetery, married Johnnie Lillie July 2, 1905.
113. Vennie Commig - Vennie Cummings married Irl Harkness August 18, 1918.
114. Osker Mills - Oscar A. Mills, married Amelia "Melia" Cox on Feb. 9, 1911.
August the 29 1910
115. Thomas Watson - Son of Lem and Ruth Watson. He was Thomas Douglas Watson, Sr. born September 12, 1890 and died April 15, 1979, buried Oaklawn Memorial Park. He was married to Minnie Ima Schillings.
116. Mrs. Ella Nance - Probably members of the family of W. C. Nance , born August 22, 1871, died January 26, 1916 , and buried at Lone Cedar Cemetery.
117. Ruth Nance - Probably members of the family of W. C. Nance, born August 22, 1871, died January 26, 1916 , and buried at Lone Cedar Cemetery.
118. Crayton Nance - Probably members of the family of W. C. Nance, born August 22, 1871, died January 26, 1916 , and buried at Lone Cedar Cemetery.
September the 20 1911 by Wess
Added to the Church of Christ
119. J. D. Martin - Possibly Jeff Davis Martin, born April 1, 1861, and died August 22, 1944, buried at Martin Cemetery.
120. Giles Day - Giles Cicero Day, born August 5, 1895, died June 4, 1931, buried in Lone Cedar Cemetery, husband of Clyde Day, son of Monroe Day and Evie Casten Day.
121. Olie Watson - This is probably Ollie Watson who married W. L. Young on May 26, 1912. She was a daughter of Lem G. and Ruth Watson, and sister to Tom Watson, Fannie Manning, Laura Clark, Fronie Wilson and Clyde Watson. She died young.
122. Bessie Jones - Bessie Jones, born October 30, 1898, and died September 30, 1957, wife of Jimmy Morris, and daughter of Samuel Calvin Jones and Paralee Burns Jones, mother of Rosemary, Doris Jean, Annie, and Jimmy Morris.
Since our family has the original list written by our great grandfather, Samuel Reuben "Sam" Burns, in whose home the church first met, I wanted to share this amplified list with others. Many of the members are related to the Burns, Powell, Cox, and Jones families, or the Manning/Hughes/Watson families. Charter members are marked with an asterisk.
I pieced together this additional information from a variety of sources including the History of Shelby County published by the genealogical society , the materials found on Shelby County RootsWeb online, J. B. Sanders’ books on the county, census records, information from family members, and our family records. I did not give specific sources since an entry might be pure deduction, based on hints from several sources. I may have made mistakes, and I seek response, correction, and/or addition to this material.
Sue Burns Moore