Ranger N. W. "Dub" Clark
In 1962, Dub Clark was selected to serve Shelby County as Ranger. He was born in
Shelby County on January 3, 1926 to W.E. (Jack) Clark and Gertrude (Dean) Clark.
He was raised in the Antioch and James Communities of Shelby County and attended
school in both places, graduating from Center High School in the spring of 1942.
Following graduation Dub received a football scholarship at Sam Houston State
College. After on season, athletic programs at Sam Houston were discontinued
until the end of World War II.
Dub enlisted in the U.S. Navy in December of 1943 and served in both the European and Far East theaters of the operations, being discharged in June of 1946. Following his discharge he returned to Center and was employed with a locally owned Ice Company, during which time he met and married Billie Marie Stevens of Henderson, Texas.
On January 9, 1950, Dub entered the 16th Texas Highway Patrol Class at Camp Mabry, Austin, Texas at that time Texas Department of Public Safety Headquarters.
In early 1962, the Texas Ranger station in San Augustine became vacant. Dub was selected to fill that vacancy and assigned Shelby, San Augustine, Sabine, Jasper, Newton, Angelina and Nacogdoches Counties.
In September 1974, he was promoted to Ranger Sergeant in Company “F” and assigned to Austin Headquarters. The following September 1975, Ranger Sgt. Dub Clark was promoted to the rank of Texas Ranger Captain. His last assignment was with the first Texas department of Public Safety Internal Affairs Unit. Dub retired in March of 1984. He now resides in Austin, Texas.