CHS CORNERSTONE DEDICATION


        The 1907 cornerstone from the red brick, two-story Center School was dedicated with public ceremonies on November 13, 1963 on grounds of the Center Elementary School   The Shrine holding the cornerstone was made from brick, saved from the old building. The relics of the past and present were gathered by Mattie Dellinger and Kate Kimbro, Chairwomen for the event and sealed behind the stone. 
        In the photo from L-R:  Supt. Moffett, Pete Ross, (Manager of Center Chamber of Commerce), Mattie Dellinger, Norris O'Banion, Kate Kimbro, Bennie Nix, Walcolm Weaver, Rex Kirkley, Carrie McLendon (whose husband was M. B. McLendon, Supt. of the old school building), Mrs. Nellie Mae Day, (whose Father A. E. Day , first Supt of the school) and Orean Wheeler, Principal at Center Elementary.  Note: the bell at the top of the shrine is from the old school building for 56 years.  


BACK

Email Extractor | Email Tester